Not Free (but recommended) Vegan (Vegetarian)
Cookbooks (and other books)
Brenda Davis, RD & Vesanto Melina, RD
- includes lots of vegan nutritional research and covers many aspects of good nutrition.
Available from Vegan Outreach.
Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating
- up to date information about the impacts of the standard meat/dairy American diet on health, the environment, and non-human animals.
The Vegetarian Way
Virginia Messina, RD, MPH & Mark Messina, PhD
- an in-depth discussion of the vegan diet, including nutrient charts, pregnancy, children, teens, elderly, athletes, diabetics, meal-planning, & recipes.
Simple, Lowfat, and Vegetarian:
Unbelievable Easy Ways to Reduce Fat in Your Meals
Suzanne Havala, M.S., R.D. and Mary Clifford, R.D.
- eating guide and cookbook - good for starting vegetarians who are looking for quick meals.
Recipes Inspired by the Critters of Farm Sanctuary
- a vegan take on traditional "comfort" foods, with a great section on seitan ("wheat meat").
The Uncheese Cookbook:
Creating Amazing Dairy-Free Cheese Substitutes and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes
- a great book for those who want to learn how to create cheese substitutes and dishes with these substitutes.
Romancing the Bean:
Essentials for Creating Vegetarian Bean Dishes
- cookbook with information about different types of beans and all guidelines for cooking bean dishes from dry beans
Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure:
Two-Hour Taste in Ten Minutes
Lorna J. Sass
- learn how to use a pressure cooker, and the some quick dishes that can be created with a pressure cooker
Gourmet Vegetarian Cuisine
Brother Ron Pickarski, O.F.M.
- a gourmet vegan cookbook - not simple everyday stuff, but rather more for entertaining.
An Ecological Approach to Gourmet Vegetarian Cooking
- a follow up to Friendly Foods with a very similar theme
The Now and Zen Epicure:
Gourmet Cuisine for the Enlightened Palate
- vegan cookbook from the Now and Zen Restaurant in San Francisco - not a quick, daily cooking guide - more for special occasion cooking
On Food and Cooking:
The Science and Lore of the Kitchen
- detailed technical information about the chemistry of food, how food react together, and food processing information - for the advanced cook who wants to know more about the chemistry of foods
[Return to the main Free Cookbooks page]